SkyCity is pleased to invite architects, designers, artists, engineers, scientists, conservationists, ambient warriors, tribesmen, digital nomads, craftsmen or basically anyone with great ideas from around the globe to take part in SkyCity Challenge 17. Our climate is changing, squalor, nationalism and inequality is rising, people are constantly moving into cities and the demand for a better and more sustainable living in urban areas continues to grow. The current ways are very limited and outdated and with the modern technology available we are able to create far better and more sophisticated spaces that could affect the very way of our living in the future …
Sky City envisions a world that purposefully uses its technology and communications for the best support of the environment and people, which allows all life to be in thriving harmony together. With the attention SkyCity had in the past, as a symbol of big scale solutions for the future we asks the following questions: “How can we leave our planet more beautiful for the next generations? How can we create a space where all nationalities can communicate as if it were a true collective? Perhaps we can create a progression of the United Nations – UN 2.0? How can SkyCity create a new way for housing and community building that has a positive impact globally? The Challenge is an experiment on how a vertical community in larger numbers of members could coexist in the future.
Established in 2015, BROAD Town is one of the world’s most modern communities. We recognize the need to redefine skyscraper design implementing new technologies, materials, programs, aesthetics and spatial organizations. Along with studies on globalization, adaptability, the digital revolution, environmental impact, and cooperative relations between communities, we see an opportunity to inspire humanity on moving forward on a progressive path. It is a hub that examines the relationship between co-living and community set within the natural world, the skyscrapers and the city.
We hope SkyCity will be one of many expressions of its kind around the globe, with each location representing unique culture and meeting its needs, while weaving threads of strengths and inspirations from outside communities, to further produce an elaborate web of sustainable cooperatives around the world. We invite you to co-create SkyCity with us, your submission will help SkyCity define itself!
4 – 17th Place
* We will be dividing $25,000 USD altogether for the best ideas. The 17 winners will be then invited to co-live with us during the SkyCity Orientation Week in Changsha set in late February of 2018. We will also grant each team with additional $1,000 USD as traveling allowance and fully cover their stay during SkyCity Orientation Week in China.
*The winners will be announced on 1st of December 2017 on our media platforms as well as published in several international magazines and their online platforms, your project boards will be also exhibited in SkyCity & several international exhibitions.
Broad Technology Group & P8 Sustainable Innovation Community
J57 the lab of SkyCity is a 200m tall skyscraper with 57 floors. The finished prefabricated modular tower in 2015 soon achieved global focus for the speed of its construction (19 days) & its overall sustainability. Watch J57 being built …
SkyCity is currently unoccupied and contains 17 hollow internal courtyards interconnected by a long spiral bike ramp that ends on the top of the 57th floor of the skyscraper. The goal is to create 17 public spaces that will interact with the future inhabitants of the tower. Afterwards we plan to convert the rest of the tower into an alternative co-housing / co-living complex we call SkyCity. There are spatial restrictions in regards to site, program or size. Each courtyard is 20m long, 16m wide and 11m high with adjacent balconies throughout three floors. Lit by efficient & low energy consumption LED lights. We have selected 6 different categories or themes the applicants must select for their design of their courtyards. The 17 spaces are all the same and their succession is irrelevant. The objective is to provide maximum freedom to the participants to engage the project without constraints in the most creative way. What is a courtyard in the middle of a vertical skyscraper in the 21st century?
Everyone is invited to participate, from any part of the world. At least one member of the group must be fluent in one of world’s 3 most used languages: English, Spanish or Chinese. However all of the entries must be submitted in English. Each team can consist of 5 members at most, but you may also submit an entry alone. Members with different fields of expertise per each team are highly encouraged. We think globally.
April 1st, 2017 Competition announcement
July 1st, 2017 Free registration deadline
November 1st, 2017 Deadline for all entries
December 1st, 2017 Winner’s announcement
February 2018 SkyCity Orientation Week
TIMELINE OF EVENTS
2 PROJECT BOARDS
All the competition files should be submitted in digital form, however we still want to print your file on foam boards for their presentation. Please organize your thoughts into 2 vertical project board files (A0 – 841 x 1189mm ISO paper size international dimensions) in high quality (min. 150 dpi) PDF format which we can print ourselves. Each board must include your verification ID number (which you’ll receive from us via email upon registration) on its lower right hand corner.
1 TEXT DOCUMENT
A text document (A4 international format) containing 500 – 1000 words, with a language requirement of English. This document must explain your concept on the project boards. The text must include your verification ID number (which you’ll receive from us via email upon registration) on its lower right hand corner.
1 TEAM VIDEO
The team video is like a biography of each of the members of your team. Feel free and use your creativity and let each member introduce him/herself. The length of the video should be min. 5 minutes and max. 10 minutes long. The video can be told in your own language but please include proper English translations in a separate word document or as subtitles merged into your film. You can either share a link to this video on youtube / vimeo or send us the file in mp4 format. The video should include your verification ID we’ll send you upon registration.
*Everything mentioned should be included in a zip file shared on Dropbox or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org via WeTransfer. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of submitting your entry. If we don’t confirm your submission, please feel free to contact us.
All submissions are due by 11:59 pm EST on November 1st 2017.
We have prepared a special package that includes all the necessaryinformation, drawings, sections and photos about the courtyards, j57 in a special dropbox folder. Just click on the arrow above.
DWG / SKP / PDF / JPG / mp4
1. It’s a non-anonymous competition, however the register code which you’ll receive is your only identification.
2. It’s an online competition, only digital materials and attachments will be accepted. However we would like you to organize your thoughts into a presentable format. We require you to send us 2 high quality printable PDF files (A0 – 841 x 1189mm ISO paper size international dimensions in min.150dpi) which we will be able to print on project boards for its presentation purposes.
3. The official language of the competition is English, Spanish & Chinese (However all the submitted material must be English). Official time of the competition is set according to EST.
4. Contacting the organizers is encouraged. We will upload documents and give life sessions on our facebook page, where you are invited to ask any questions regarding the competition and the future co-living with us.
5. Participants may submit various projects, however you must register each entry as a different project.
6. There is a limit to the number of maximum of 5 participants per team. Entry as an individual is also accepted.
7. Each team must chose one category from 6 different themes ( Lifestyle / Arts / Nature / Education / Activities / Technology ) for their design. We would like to choose 2 – 3 winning designs for each category in order to have the 17 courtyards in SkyCity as diverse as possible.
8. The results will be announced on the SkyCity website as well as on P8’s official platforms, worldwide media and international exhibitions.
9. All the winners will be invited over to BROAD Town, Changsha for the International Orientation Week in the beginning of 2018. Where we will discuss the following constructions of the courtyards. We plan to start to realize them already in the same year. Therefore we prefer designs or ideas that we can actually build with the competitors in the future.
10. P8 will grant each team $1,000 USD for their travels to and from SkyCity.
11. P8 will provide accommodation and food for all the team members while their stay in Broad Town, during the International Orientation Week.
12. P8, as the competition organizer, reserves the right to modify the competition schedule if deemed necessary.
13. Entrants will be disqualified if any of the competition rules are not followed.
14. Participation assumes acceptance of the regulations.
China Office Director & Academic Coordinator at the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH).
Other judges to be determined …
Feel free to visit Skycity & our community called PLAN8T in BROAD Town. We are open daily - anytime, because we are co-living & co-working here since 2015. We can meet, talk and we can also show you around. We are located in Changsha, China approx. 1,000 km to the north of Hong Kong.